200X * Drama * Theatre w/Anatoly * Subscribe to Yahoo online Class or Directors' Forum! + HamletDreams 2001 (scenes) *
exposition -- climax ...
2002 shows: Dangerous Liaisons
ShowCases: 3 Sisters, Mikado, 12th Night, Hamlet, The Importance of Being Earnest, Dangerous Liaisons, Don Juan
200 words paper, analysis of the play (Hamlet)
How to write theatre paper? Intro Page.
Summarykatharsis (the 4 meanings current in Aristotle's day):
1. root sense was "cleaning" (e.g. katharsis of the house)
2. ritual cleansing of physical objects, "purification" of souls through music and incantations, healing of souls
3. Hippocratics: bowel movement : expulsion of noxious bodily elements (incl menstruation, urination, defecation, ejaculation)
4. Plato: intellectual "clarification" (though not in relation to poetry, music)
QuestionsIn the Republic , Plato presents us with two areas of meaning of the word mimesis :
* Impersonation : "to liken oneself to another either in voice or in appearance is to make a mimesis of the person to whom one likens oneself" (Republic, 393c5).
* Image-making : in Book X of The Republic , mimesis is not confined to impersonation - here the notion of mimesis is extended to cover 'image-making in general
This relates to Plato's theory of Forms in which the material world is a poor copy of the true Form. The artist is responding to and making images of the poor copy: a copy of a copy
Barranger -- Understanding Plays
The final segment of composition (story and plot), where the message is articulated (idea, moral).[ see "tests" pages ]
Protagonistthe character we are supposed to relate to the most; the hero of the story, the goog guy (name a few).
[ script.vtheatre.net ]
Antagonistopposes the protagonist, the bad guy.
See 123 of Composition: Climax and Exposition pages.
See Theatre Dictionary pages!
PSThe last main part of the dramatic composition (Aristotle).
What is your favorite resolution?
Identify the resolution in Hamlet.
What is the purpose of Resolution?
How do Resolution and Idea of the play correlate?
Back to 200X ONLINE
@2001-2003 Theatre w/Anatoly *
2007 vtheatre.net 2009